EFP believes in wellness at any age. Effective January 1, 2011, Medicare began covering an Annual Wellness Visit with your primary care provider.
The Annual Wellness Visit is a time to review your wellness issues. It is NOT an annual physical or a sick visit. Also, it should not be confused with the Welcome to Medicare Physical (which is a one-time visit for patients new to Medicare).
Frequently Asked Questions:
Your Annual Wellness Visit will include:
- Routine measurements such as height, weight and blood pressure
- Review of medical and family history
- Establishing a list of current providers, suppliers, and medications
- A personal risk assessment (including any mental health conditions)
- A review of functional ability and level of safety
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Screening for depression
- Establishing a schedule for Medicare’s screening and preventive services you qualify for over the next 5-10 years
- Other advice or referral services that may help intervene and treat potential health risks
- Voluntary advanced care planning
You pay nothing out of pocket for this visit. However, you may incur a copay or deductible expense if additional testing is required.
Please bring with you your Medicare benefits card, a complete list of prescription and non-prescription medications and also a complete list of any specialists (chiropractors, psychotherapists, acupuncturists, etc) that you are currently seeing.
After you have had Medicare Part B for more than 12 months. If you have had a Welcome to Medicare Physical within the last 12 months, you must wait 12 months to schedule the Medicare Wellness Visit.
It will depend on the severity of the illness and your provider’s schedule. If you are seen for both issues, you will also be charged for a sick visit.
You may have an Annual Wellness Visit once every 12 months.
No. An annual physical is a much more extensive physical examination. Your Annual Wellness Visit should not replace your annual physical.
Medicare covers a ONE-TIME Welcome to Medicare Physical. Medicare also covers an ANNUAL WELLNESS VISIT every 12 months.
Medicare covers many screenings for people who are at high risk for certain diseases. During your Annual Wellness Visit, you and your provider will decide on the appropriate screenings.